Sentimental single one
This unsympathetic valentine is number four from a series by Luke Limner, the pseudonym of John Leighton, a prominent
Others that are known from this series:
- No.7 The Fungi
- No.9 A Miserable Man
- No.10 The Shrew
- Sentimental single one, what causes thee to weep?
- Crying, like a crocodile, and sighing very deep;
- O! Say, is it Cupidity, that puts you in a flutter?
- O! No Im in a dungeon cold, and scarce a word may utter:
- You're in a castle, in the air, and dreaming in broad day;
- So, Sentimental Slut, awake, and drive those thoughts away;
- Imprisoned, by an uncle bold, who urges me to marry;
- Imprisoned, for your uncle holds the shawl for which you tarry.
- Red bloody deeds, indeed, hes done; my loves he loves to stab,
- Read bloody books, indeed, you have; till read has made a drab.
- Sadly the wind it blew and howled, when spectre-warnd - O! - shocking:
- Sadly you mind to sew the holes you have in either stocking.
- It warnd, and said; what did it say? it warnd as it was going
- The fire's out, your love-birds dead; and how the waters flowing.
- So, Sentimental Slut, adieu! - no more romantic pine -
- For I do seek a lover true, - no dreary Valentine.
- Luke Limners Valentines No 4
- Published by Ackermann & Company, London
- 209 x 267mm (8¼ x 10½in)