your MONKEY UP!
The delightful monkeys love of fun and activity, charged with devil-may-care energy, leads it into all kinds of tricky situations usually in lively encounters with other animals.
An advertisement from the 1880s, for a set of cards, makes an intriguing claim:-
Life-like pictures of monkeys engaged in games of chess, cards and marbles. The progress monkeys are making towards a high state of civilisation is admirably shown in this series.
- The way to spend a Happy New Year
- We monkeys are going to teach,
- Tho you may say,
- With a pout and a sneer,
- ‘Ye practice not all that ye preach !’
- But you, like us, if happy youd be,
- Must fight the whole year through,
- For, if you dont, you'll very soon see
- That others will pitch into you !
- Oh say, when shall we meet again !
- Congenial friends should never be parted.
- One touch of nature makes us kin,
- And, like yourself were all true-hearted;
- So take with this our kindly greeting
- Until our next most merry meeting.